Changes to Housing Benefit

From today, the rules on Housing Benefit are changing.

28 Jul 2016

A new national law means that if you claim Housing Benefit and are planning to leave the country for more than four weeks, for example on an extended trip or to work overseas, you may not be able to claim payments until you return to the UK.

You must inform your local authority prior to leaving the country so that they can check the amount you are eligible for.

If you don't, you could be committing benefit fraud and may have to pay back any overpayments.

In certain cases the four weeks can be extended - this will be based on your individual circumstances.

To find out more, get in touch with your local authority using the details below:

- Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council: call 01642 393829 or visit Stockton Library
- Middlesbrough Council: call 01642 726005, email or visit Middlesbrough House
- Hartlepool Borough Council: call 01429 284188 or email
- Darlington Borough Council: call 01325 405444 or go to the customer service reception at Darlington Town Hall
- Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council: call 01642 774774

For any money advice or rent payment queries, contact our money advice team on 0300 111 1000.