Safety campaign launched reminds customers to press to test

Thirteen has launched a campaign to highlight the importance of testing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

Social Media

24 Feb 2021

Many people simply forget to check their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm, but setting a weekly reminder to carry out a simple test could save lives.

Gas services manager Steven Brown said: “We want customers to think about the risks in their homes and take action to prevent accidents. Safety checks should be part of every household routine.

“We’re all spending more time at home these days so it’s more important than ever to have safety measures in place to keep you and your family safe.

“Ensuring that smoke and CO alarms are working is essential. Whether you write a reminder in your diary or on your phone, this weekly test will give you peace of mind and reassure you that it’s working correctly.

“Some people don’t realise how serious this is. You should never ignore an alarm.

“Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which has no colour, taste or smell and can be produced by appliances that use wood, gas, oil or coal. It’s just one of the reasons why annual gas safety checks must always be carried out – so we can spot any issues.

“Alarms save lives and in the event of a fire or carbon monoxide incident, they can give you valuable time to escape and call 999 in the case of an emergency.”

How to test your alarm

  • Find the test button on your detector. The exact appearance and location of the test button will vary. However, on most models the test button is located next to an LED light that you’ll see flashing.
  • Press the test button. If the detector is working, the alarm should sound for three to five seconds before automatically turning off. This alarm will be pretty loud, so you might want to cover or plug your ears.

Top tips to keep you and your family safe

  • Set a reminder in your diary or on your phone – make testing your smoke and CO alarm part of your routine
  • Whatever happens – never remove a battery out of an alarm
  • Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do in the event of an emergency
  • Recognise the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
  • If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999.
  • If you haven’t had your annual gas safe check carried out and have an outstanding appointment, please should contact us at customerservices@thirteengroup.co.uk or 0300 111 1000.