Find a home
- Homes for rent
- Buy a home
- Shops to let
Homes in development
- Darlington homes in development
- Durham homes in development
- Hartlepool homes in development
- Middlesbrough homes in development
- Newcastle homes in development
- Northumberland homes in development
- North Yorkshire homes in development
- Redcar and Cleveland homes in development
- Stockton homes in development
- Developments recently completed
- Open house event
- Private landlord homes
- Self service website
- Paying rent
- Report it
- Find out
- Advice and support
- Get involved
Services for all
- Supported living
Care and support
- Support for young people
- Support for families
- Support for ex-offenders
- Domestic abuse support
- Support for tenants
- Employment support
- Homelessness support
- About us
- Contact us
To translate a page into your language:
- Click on the 'Access & Language Options' link at the top of any page on this website.
- Select your language from the 'Google Translate' menu.
- The page will be translated.
Please note that not all text may be translated accurately or be translated at all. As this is a Google service, Thirteen is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate translations.
My Web My Way
The BBC has a website which provides help about accessibility, which enables people to make the most of the internet whatever their ability or disability.
Visit the My Web My Way website.
Listen to information on this website
ReadSpeaker allows the text on the website to be read out loud to you. ReadSpeaker helps you if you have trouble reading text online. By having the text read out loud to you, you can understand the information on the website more easily. This makes the content more accessible and the website more pleasant to visit. As a user you don’t have to download anything.
How does ReadSpeaker work?
Listening to the main content
To listen to the main content on the website, you simply click on 'Access & Language Options' at the top of any page, then click on the 'Listen' button to listen to the webpage's content:
An audio player appears (see image below) and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text of the webpage out loud.
In the player you can:
- pause/restart the reading
- stop the reading
- use the progress bar to navigate in the audio
- adjust the volume
- click the settings icon to adjust the behaviour of the service
- click the download icon to download the audio file
- close the player.
You can use tab/shift+tab to navigate inside the player and press enter to activate a certain button or link.
Listen to selected text
You can select a part of the text on the website that you want to listen to, and then press the 'Listen' button that pops up next to the mouse pointer. When you click the pop-up Listen button, an audio player appears (see the image below) and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text you have selected.
In the settings menu, you can:
- choose whether you want to have the text highlighted while read
- choose whether you want the text highlighted on a word and sentence basis, sentence only, or word only
- choose style and colors for the highlighting
- choose whether to display the current sentence at the bottom of the page, with a larger font size and simultaneous text highlighting
- choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium, or fast
- choose whether you want the page to scroll automatically to follow the highlighted text
- choose whether you want the pop-up Listen button to be shown when text is selected
- restore all settings to original defaults.
You can also listen to the settings by clicking the Listen button at the top right â€‹â€‹of the Settings menu.
Please visit ReadSpeaker's website for more information about online text to speech.