Thinking about Tax-Free Childcare?

Tax-Free Childcare is a new UK-wide scheme to help working parents pay for registered childcare.

6 Apr 2018

You can get up to £500 every three months for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. If you get Tax-Free Childcare, the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider via an online account.

However, if you qualify for Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit then you will generally be better off claiming help with childcare costs via benefits instead of Tax-Free Childcare.

You can’t receive Tax-Free Childcare and Universal Credit/Tax Credits at the same time.

We’re advising any Thirteen customer to check your entitlements to benefits before applying for Tax-Free Childcare. The service is free and completely confidential, so if you’re thinking about Tax-Free Childcare, please get in touch with Thirteen’s Money Advice Team on 0300 111 1000.

The Money Advice Team is also urging customers to let the relevant benefits office know when there has been a change in your circumstances. These changes could affect your benefit entitlement and can include:

  • starting to live with someone
  • stopping living with someone
  • starting or stopping receiving a benefit
  • getting a job
  • change of working hours
  • change in pay
  • winning or inheriting money
  • going into hospital or residential care.

If your circumstances change you may be entitled to more benefit, less benefit or no benefit at all.

Receiving too much benefit could be regarded as fraud which is a criminal offence, and you would need to pay back the extra benefits.

For more details about benefits, contact the Money Advice Team on 0300 111 1000 or have a look at the team’s webpages.