Don’t risk your own safety, Thirteen highlights the importance of gas safety checks

Thirteen has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (13 -19 September) to highlight importance of gas safety checks and why they must be carried out every year.

CDF017

13 Sep 2021

Gas Safety Week, sees organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Throughout the week Thirteen’s gas safety team will be reminding customers to never DIY when it comes to gas appliances and instead leave it to the experts – registered gas engineers who are legally qualified to make sure your appliances are working safely and efficiently.

Gas services manager Steven Brown said: “Ensuring that appliances such as gas fires and boilers are serviced, working correctly and are safe, is essential.

“Our gas engineers play a really important role, everyday, in keeping our customers safe.  We’re still taking the necessary steps to keep our customers safe at all times.

“Gas safety checks don’t take long to carry out, but if customers miss their appointment, faulty appliances won’t be identified and could be dangerous, so we’re asking that our customers always help us by ensuring our engineers can get the access they need."

Any customer who hasn’t had their annual gas safe check carried out and has an outstanding appointment, should contact us at customerservices@thirteengroup.co.uk or 0300 111 1000.

Help to keep you and your family safe

There are some simple steps to help keep you safe and warm in your home.

  • Please always keep your appointment to allow us into your home to carry out our annual gas safety check
  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk
  • All our engineers are Gas Safe Registered. Please check their ID card before allowing them into your home
  • Recognise the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions
  • Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.